Monday, July 16, 2018

Precious Gifts from God (Follow the Prophet)



Preparation: 

Read President Ballard's Talk from April 2018 General Conference. 

Materials Needed:
  • Picture of President Nelson
  • Needed materials for activity 
Opening SongFollow the Prophet

Prayer:

Gain Attention: (Choose one of the following) 
  • Show children pictures of a few of the apostles and have them tell you which is the prophet.
  • Have a picture of the prophet hid somewhere in the room and play hot and cold while the children try to find it. 
Instruction:
Read this quote from Elder Ballard:
 "My brothers and sisters, we have just participated in a solemn assembly, a practice that can be traced back to the Bible when ancient Israel gathered to feel the Lord's presence and celebrate His blessings. We are privileged to live in a time when this ancient practice has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I urge you to record in your personal journal what you felt regarding this most sacred occasion in which you have taken part."

Discuss the feelings each of you had during the solemn assembly. You may even want to watch if one more. You can find a video of the solemn assembly here. Encourage your family to follow President Ballard's counsel to record these feelings. You may even want to take the time to do so at the end of FHE.

Next read this quote from Elder Ballard's talk:
"The Lord has said, 'Thou shalt give heed unto all his [meaning the President of the Church] words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them ...;

'For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.'"

Discuss this scripture with your children and in closing share your experience of how you have gained a testimony that President Nelson is the prophet. You could also invite other family members to share their testimonies. 

Activity Ideas
  • Play follow the leader. Have the leader hold a picture of the prophet and sing Follow the Prophet. 
  • Make a treat together. 
  • Go for a walk.
  • Play Sardines. 
(This ice cream is seriously the best homemade ice cream I have ever had!)

My witness that President Nelson is the current prophet came as I was watching the first presidency's broadcast. My little girl was sitting on my lap watching with me. I pointed at President Nelson and said to her, "That is the new Prophet." A warm feeling came over me as I spoke those words testifying to me that what I had just said is true. I am so grateful for our prophet! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs