Thursday, July 19, 2018

Facebook and Family History

Image may contain: 2 people
Throughout my formal education I was given assignments to make all sorts of webs explaining details about objects or people. A while back I decided to use those skills in “real life” and make a web depicting the good that can be done using my phone. My web included texting a spiritual thought to a friend, scheduling visiting teaching appointments (Yes, this was before April’s general conference), reading a conference talk, and keeping a list of spiritual promptings. The page quickly became filled up. 

In speaking of this time of technological advancements Elder David A. Bednarstated, “The Lord is hastening His work, and it is no coincidence that these powerful communication innovations and inventions are occurring in the dispensation of the fullness of times. Social media channels are global tools that can personally and positively impact large numbers of individuals and families. And I believe the time has come for us as disciples of Christ to use these inspired tools appropriately and more effectively to testify of God the Eternal Father, His plan of happiness for His children, and His Son, Jesus Christ, as the Savior of the world; to proclaim the reality of the Restoration of the gospel in the latter days; and to accomplish the Lord’s work.”

Let’s start putting all of these “communication innovations” to good use and take the time to really reflect on how they can be used for good. A suggestion I have today is to use your Facebook account to help with your family history. This will take little time and has the potential to draw you closer to your family on both sides of the veil.

Take a few minutes, today, to create a Facebook group in memory of one of your ancestors. My group is entitled, Memories of Junior Allen. Add your parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins and ask them to share a memory they have of your ancestor or a story they have heard. My Grandpa passed away when I was six so I do not remember a great deal about him. As my cousins began to post stories and pictures, I was reminded of things I had forgotten and learned a great deal as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs